Saturday, December 19, 2009

A day in pictures

1 - we wake by alarm every day underneath our mosquito net.
2 - after much grumbling i get dressed and head to the bathroom, which in our case is a hole in the ground. it's actually okay for me. The latrine is vented seperately outside so the actual room has little odor.
3 - after using the "facilities", i head next door (literally) for my morning bucket bath. The house girl (she's awesome) usually has already been up for an hour and has boiled a bunch of water that we dilute to temp.
4 - this is the morning view outside the shower room. You can see our hand washing station and some of the main house.
5 - after cleaning up i head in the house to eat breakfast. Most days that is bread with plum jam and chai/tea. Somedays flat pancakes or eggs.
6 - after breakfast we head up to town for training. it's about a 2km walk up hill, but the scenery is beautiful. Pictured here is brian (from my language group), Mandy, and mt. Kilamanjaro in the background.
7 - we usually get lunch in town as a group and it generally looks like this... Rice, beans, beef, and cabbage. Usually it's good, but it depends who's cooking. This particular meal made me sick... Wrong resteraunt.
8 - usually once a week we head to the "outward bound" facilities towards the mountain for activies. it's a great facility surrounded by forrest and with plenty of cabins.
10 - many times we walk through small farms called "shambas" to get home. it's fun very scenic hike, but one i would only take during the day.
11 - there is no picture 11, because i can't capture the starry night we get. I swear i've never seen this many stars.

Hope you enjoyed the pics, i'll give more pertinent updates later.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the pictures, as well as the descriptions, Jon! Some of the daily places you encounter look familiar to places we have been. :^) We are proud of the way you and Mandy are embracing this new culture. Thinking of you both with much affection, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the pictures. Wish I could see the night sky there! I love looking at the stars on a warm night! It is cold here Lots of snow. I was driving home last night in 4 wheel drive and slid right past the driveway. Winter just sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMmmmmmm Jon, Three meat pizza with extra sauce (washed down with a cold beer of course). Then maybe cherry pie for dessert. Ha! Just teasing you. I got back from India Saturday. Where can I pick up one of those mosquito nets? :-) Snowing outside right now. Looks like we're in for a white Christmas in Midland this year. I got sick in Mexico eating something that looked similar to your rice plate. That really sucked. So I feel for you. MMMmmmmm steak and eggs for breakfast with a side order of hash browns... Yeah, I suck... Take care. Lance

    ReplyDelete