Monday, February 15, 2010

Kisumu, Hippos, and Street Kids

We had our first Vacation in Kenya this last weekend. Our school had its Mid-Term break and we went to Kisumu with another PCV friend, Stacy. It was really nice. We woke up at 7am on Thursday, got packed and we were in Kisumu by 2pm. Not bad...

Kisumu is one of Kenya's bigger cities and it sits right on the Eastern edge of Lake Victoria. Kisumu is a major trade town. Most things come off the Ocean and travel by truck or rail to Kisumu. They are then loaded on boat for trade with Uganda and Tanzania. It is also home to boat tours, nice hotels, shopping malls, CHEESE, Barack Obama's grandma, and even a huge movie theater. We did a little of all of the above.

We spent a good deal of our time just wandering around the malls going oooh.. ahhh... And buying things we didn't know we wanted or needed. We now have soy sauce, pancake syrup, twix, fresh garlic, and art supplies for Mandy's new club. The biggest store is called Nakumat and it was easily as big as a Walmart.

In the same mall as the Nakumat was a really nice movie theatre. For about 350 shillings ($4) we saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie on the big screen in a massive theatre. It was awesome and bizzare. We felt temporarily transported back to America. I half expect to look to my right and see Ryan and Kat.

On Friday morning we went to the local port and got a tour of the shipping port. Afterwards we got a boat 3 hour boat tour on lake victoria complete with a guide and up close encounters with hippos. Afterwards we walked to the fish market and had some fresh Talapia with Chapati and Ugali. It was delicious and not touristy. Despite the locale we were still bombarded by hawkers and street children the whole time we ate. The hawkers sold DVDs, watches, trinkets, and flashlights. The street kids walked around with plastic bags looking for money and food. We did not buy from the hawkers, but our leftovers did end up in the kids' bags.

Thanks for the emails and notes of concern about my sickness. The sore throat is still hanging around with some mild exhaustion, so i think i must've picked something up when i was sick. :P

My throat is starting to feel better today (Monday), but we resume classes tommorow, so that'll be the real test.

oh... And lance... "Nacho Cheese" Doritos!! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to give you guys an update! We are seeing more and more of the grass :) I'm hoping this is a sign for an awesome summer! Ryan and I both miss Jon encouraging us to get outside...

    Sarah's having a birthday party/dinner on Thurs. in Bay City. We can't wait to party!! I'm so glad her and I agreed to work on staying friends with Mandy being gone. Mandy made it so easy for us three to get together!

    I have my second interview for the Accounting Clerk position with Northwood tomorrow at 3p. I'm super excited! The position starts out entry level but in a couple years they want this person to replace their Assistant Manager! This is totally how I wanted to get into a management position :) And Ryan's excited about the extra cash...he wants a hot tub so bad! I'll keep you posted on the outcome!

    Fwee wanted to make sure I told you he and Kitty say hi. He's been having a hard time sleeping lately - he keeps calling out "Jon" while he's dreaming. lol

    We went to Olive Garden for Ryan's birthday dinner and got him Chocolate Cake for dessert. It made me think of Jon...I hope you're finding a way to cope with your chocolate/brownie shortage.

    Ouside of that I can't think of anything else going on. I'm looking forward to an update from you guys! I check almost daily to see if there is anything new :)

    Love,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Kat! It's great to get news from home. We've had internet problems lately, so posting has been difficult. Anything you want to hear or see?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys!
    Thought I would give you another update.
    Last night we celebrated Sarah's Bday by going to a restaurant in Bay City. On the bar side was a live band and I kept think Jon was over there warming up :)
    How is Mandy's art club going? What kind of supplies does she have? What kind of crafts are they making?
    Ryan and I have yet to see the Sherlock Holmes movie but I can totally relate to seeing a movie in English in a foreign country. We saw a movie while we were in Germany. It's so strange when someone of a different background understands comedy in English :) The thing I remember most about the theater was being able to finally order a drink in an American portion size!! I will love Fanta forever!
    I had my second interview with Northwood on Wed. and early Thurs. they called and offered me the position!!! I am so excited! Now we can save up to come see you guys! And Ryan is also excited to get a hot tub. Americans sure are spoiled are they? My tentative start date is March 22.
    Speaking of spoiled, did you hear Ryan got a new car? I can't remember if I told you...
    That's the update for now. Hope you guys are having great weather! It's been really warm here (50s - 60s) and the rain today dissolved most of our snow.

    Miss you guys!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete